Friday, 21 July 2017

Book Reviews ~ Checkmate Duet (Duology) by Kennedy Fox





 goodreads












I enjoyed this story. Of two people hating each other than turning into lovers. Well, it was mainly Viola who hated Travis, but they were definitely not on good speaking terms.
Travis, as stated many times, is an asshole. He is that typical stereotype guy, who only thinks with his dick. He literally can’t go without a second either thinking or doing something relating to sex. I just kept looking past that, and concentrated mainly on Viola’s wit.

As you might guess by the banner, this is enemies turn lovers’ duology. It doesn’t happen straight away, which is good, because we get to see these characters “mature” first before they take that next step.
But don’t worry, there is a lot of sexual tension.

Once they no longer became enemies, it started to get sweet. We get to see a side of Travis that I didn’t think actually existed.
I should also warn, this is an explicit book. Let's just say, Kennedy Fox does not hold back on describing every detail in a sex scene.

I finished this book at 11 at night, just a warning, it ends on a major cliff hanger. I had to get the next book as soon as possible.
Review to follow.


My star rating is:
















So, after I was left on a cliff hanger, I needed to know what happened. I’m just happy I didn’t need to wait, it was all explained in the first two chapters.

I forgot to mention in the previous review, I love Viola’s brother Drew and her best friend Courtney. Seriously, I thought Viola was witty, but you need to meet Courtney. She just said whatever was in her head, and didn’t care what people thought of her.

Okay, back to our two main stars, Viola and Travis. Everything is okay, there didn’t seem to be any drama unless you count them not telling Drew, who is also Travis’s best friend and roommate, that they are seeing each other.
I think I saw it coming, if there isn’t any drama, you know the author is going to create it by the obvious way. That’s what happens when you keep secrets from the ones you love.
To be honest, at times I thought Viola’s reasoning for not telling her brother were weak and lame. And we get it already, you love Harry Potter. At first it was cute and funny, now it was like I was force fed an abundance of sugar. Too much is sickening.

There was a scene in the book, a comment that Viola said that made me no longer like her. 
SPOILERS
Read at your own risk...
Viola is pregnant, and she is talking to Travis that she doesn’t want to waste her degree and just be a stay-at-home mum. That’s okay, I don’t have a problem with mum’s wanting to be back in the work force, but what she says next makes me see red.
“That I’d be one of those stay-at-home moms that live in yoga pants, dirty t-shirts, and unwashed hair”
I’m a stay-at-home mum, I do not own yoga pants, I wear clean t-shirts, and I wash my hair daily. For her to assume that is what’s it like for a stay-at-home mum was insulting. It was like she was saying she becomes this nothingness basically, and her whole life is ripped apart.
I’m sorry, I might not be making sense, but like I said, I was seeing red.
Okay, she does say later on after two kids, that she loves being a stay-at-home mum, and she has a blog about being a mum and books. Which is creepy, because I wanted something like that with my blog.
SPOILERS OVER

Because of that scene, I’m giving it a lesser star. It just spoiled it for me. I still enjoyed it though, and would definitely read more from Kennedy Fox.


My star rating is:







November 2017 Wrap Up

Just click on the links under the book covers to check out my reviews The Last Hours by Minette Walters ...