Sunday, 28 May 2017

Book Review ~ The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory



 goodreads






The last time I read Lady of the Rivers was nearly four years ago. And even though there were a few small things that I had forgotten, it felt like I read this book yesterday.
I also must’ve liked it back then because I gave it four stars. But with time I have since read other books based around this time period. Better books.

Philippa Gregory’s novels are not 100% historically correct, she also adds a mythical element to them. Which isn’t overly a bad thing, sometimes we want something different, or what ifs. And I’m all for fantasy settings in the real world.

So, saying all that, even though I still enjoyed it the second time around, I didn’t love it as much as before. I found the writing to be lacking something. Not to be insulting, but something like intelligence. It’s a novel for people who don’t want to think too much. Some parts felt like it was cute.

Even though it’s historically incorrect, I loved reading in the point of view of Jacquetta. She is the mother of Elizabeth Woodville, and if you don’t know who that is, google it.
Living and surviving in a world run by men, also strong enough to do something for love, especially in her position, was brave.

I’ve read a few of Philippa Gregory’s books before, but not in chronological order. It would be nice to see the story from one strong woman to the next in time order.


My star rating is:








November 2017 Wrap Up

Just click on the links under the book covers to check out my reviews The Last Hours by Minette Walters ...