Sunday, 5 March 2017

Book Review ~ The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton




 goodreads






In 1930, at her twenty-first birthday party, Nell O'Connor learns the devastating story of an abandoned little girl, found alone on a passenger ship bound for Australia on the eve of the First World War.

Forty-five years later, she embarks upon a search for the truth that leads her to the windswept Cornish coast and the strange and beautiful Blackhurst Manor.

Nell's grand-daughter, Cassandra, thought she knew her grandmother well, but when Nell dies in 2005, Cassandra comes into an unexpected inheritance. Cliff Cottage and its forgotten garden are notorious amongst the Cornish locals for the secrets they hold, and it is here that Cassandra will finally uncover the truth about the century-old mystery of a little girl lost.








Another book by Kate Morton I absolutely love.
I wouldn’t say I loved this more than The Shifting Fog, The Forgotten Garden was slightly laid back. What I mean by that is I wasn’t on the edge of my seat throughout the book, there was a lot of secrets, that I guessed right by the way, but it wasn’t a suspense.
Okay, I’m babbling on a bit, what I’m trying to say is, it was an enjoyable read, discovering these generations of women and how they all linked together.

Kate Morton is a brilliant writer. She is able to transport you from one decade to the next in such a fluid mode.
She is also great at creating characters. Even though they seem like your average day person, there was just something magical about them. Maybe it’s all to do with Kate Morton’s ability to write.

Like I mentioned before, I guessed the secrets. Even though I want to talk about them here, I don’t want to spoil anyone.
Actually, I didn’t mind that I guessed them correctly and they were blatantly obvious. I don’t think that’s what this story is about.
It’s about a generation of women finding out who they truly are, and where they belong.


I recommend Kate Morton to everyone. It just makes me happy to say I bought all her books (in the new cover editions) before reading anything from her. I bought all her books based on the covers alone and have fallen for the words inside.



My star rating is