Thursday, 23 February 2017

Book Review ~ All That I Am by Anna Funder






 goodreads






When Hitler comes to power in 1933, a tight-knit group of friends and lovers become hunted outlaws overnight. United in their resistance to the madness and tyranny of Nazism, they must flee the country.
Dora, passionate and fearless, her lover, the great playwright Ernst Toller, her younger cousin Ruth and Ruth's husband Hans find refuge in London. Here they take breath-taking risks in order to continue their work in secret.

But England is not the safe-haven they think it to be, and a single, chilling act of betrayal will tear them apart.








I’m so happy I finally picked All That I Am up. It’s well written, well told, my heart has been ripped out, stomped on and then replaced.
I feel like my review won’t be able to compare, I can say how much I love it, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to say why.

Based on “true events” and “real people” (the reason I did that in quotations, was because some names have been changed, and true events are either based on documentations, of people who were there or not).
World War II as well as World War I is horrific just reading about it, but it doesn’t hit you as hard as this book. Anna Funder brings you into this world, she absorbs you and just….makes you feel. Told you I won’t be able to word it right.

What we need to take from this, is how strong these women were. To be in a place where women’s rights was just beginning, they faced exile, but that didn’t stop them from doing what they believed was right.
Dora Fabian should always be remembered as a strong, brilliant person who fought for our rights.

I hope her story, her true story, will be remembered forever. Thank you Anna Funder for that.



My star rating is