Monday, 19 December 2016

Book Review ~ The Shifting Fog by Kate Morton





My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I'm not sure if I'm the only one who does this, but every time I pick up a book I like to be a detective and guess the ending. See what happens to these characters and how everything will turn out.
The whole time I was reading this, I was expecting something entirely different. It wasn't until I was halfway that I realized I was completely wrong, The Shifting Fog was about to rip my heart out and do the Charleston on it.



There is so much I want to talk about, but of course I don't want to spoil it for anyone. So if I sound vague, then this is why.

Grace, our protagonist, is an interesting character. There were a few times that I was angry at her decisions, she just seemed to be a push over. Maybe because she was a very young maid and didn't really grasp individuality. All she knew was obey without being seen.
You also get this feeling, maybe because the ninety-nine year old Grace is recounting her past, that she comes off as nosy, interested in upper-class societies business then her own. But like I said earlier, it might be the way her elder self is recounting the events.
Even though I felt this way about Grace, I was happy it was in her point of view. She gave us an insight from her position in society, lower-class maid, to Hannah's position of wealth.

Without giving too much away, I just want to mention how much emotions the Hartford family put me through. I don't think I cried so much for a multiple of characters in one book before.
If Grace wasn't the focal point of this story, I would categorize this under tragedy.
This is just a warning to soon-to-be readers; get tissues.



What I really want to mention in this review, even though I highly doubt Kate Morton would read it, is how much I love her book. The way she weaves this story, shifting from past to present so fluidly, I don't know if I can truly say it in words on how much I love this book.
I love a good story, happy or sad. If it's well written, it doesn't matter if everyone dies or lives happily ever after.
I'm happy I bought this book based solely on the new edition covers that were recently released. Yes, I did buy all her books (five so far) all at once before knowing if she was good or not. I'm glad I did.
























November 2017 Wrap Up

Just click on the links under the book covers to check out my reviews The Last Hours by Minette Walters ...