Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Tea Tuesday ~ Death Of A Fictional Character



Death Of A Fictional Character

What is it that when a fictional character dies, we go into complete meltdown?
We know it isn’t real. This world, these characters, don’t actually exist in the real world. But when something happens to them, they get hurt or killed, it’s like a part of us has been ripped out and trod on.


Not all authors can do this, get us completely invested in a character, make us fall in love with them, even start to see ourselves in them. We declare to the world that this is your favourite character. Big mistake.

As you can obviously guess, I’m referring mainly to George R.R. Martin. And even though I know (after book one), that no one is safe, I still had hope. One by one I declare so and so is my favourite character, only to watch them die a horrible death.
Deep down I actually knew they were going to die; no one survives in the world of GRRM. But you can hope right? Right?


Saying all that, as a massive fan of the written word, you have to give credit where it’s due. Well done to not only George R.R. Martin, but other authors who can make you feel such raw emotions about a make believe character.



I hope to one day be able to do what George has done to others…. Rip your heart out and do a happy little dance on it.





















November 2017 Wrap Up

Just click on the links under the book covers to check out my reviews The Last Hours by Minette Walters ...