Saturday, 11 June 2016

Book Review ~ The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins


 Goodreads



Rachel catches the same commuter train every morning. She knows it will wait at the same signal each time, overlooking a row of back gardens. She’s even started to feel like she knows the people who live in one of the houses. ‘Jess and Jason’, she calls them. Their life – as she sees it – is perfect. If only Rachel could be that happy.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough.

Now everything’s changed. Now Rachel has a chance to become a part of the lives she’s only watched from afar.

Now they’ll see; she’s much more than just the girl on the train…



I could not put this book down. At first it was a bit slow to get into, especially listening to Rachel and trying to understand her, and what she is saying. Sometimes it was a bit over the place.

I’ve mentioned this in a blog post yesterday, see here if you missed it, about what I think of the characters. Now that I’ve finished I don’t think my mind has changed.
I still think Rachel made stupid decisions, whether that was due to her alcohol consumptions, or just plain stupidity.
Megan I was right about something dark about her. At the end I did cry for her, but more so on what happened to her in the past. I couldn’t fathom going through what she did.
And Anna, yeah I still don’t like Anna.

I’ve seen a few reviews where people were saying they saw the end coming, it wasn’t a plot twist for them.
For me, not sure if this makes me slow, but it wasn’t until over half way through. I just pieced together what the characters said and came to the same conclusion. Of course I got it wrong at first, but the second times the charm.

I don’t see this anything like Gone Girl, yes you have a manipulated character, but Amy in Gone Girl is another thing entirely.
Other than the surprising character, I didn’t see any similarities.

The problem with reviewing mysteries is there is so much you want to say, but don’t want to give anything away. I went in this blind, I didn’t know what to expect, and I think that’s how you should go into books like this.
If you have read the book, I would love to chat about it. So just leave a comment below.


My star rating for The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins is: