Monday, 6 June 2016

Book Review ~ A Court Of Thorns And Roses by Sarah J. Maas


 Goodreads



Feyre is a huntress.

She thinks nothing of slaughtering a wolf to capture its prey. But, like all mortals, she fears what lingers mercilessly beyond the forest. And she will learn that taking the life of a magical creature comes at a high price...

Imprisoned in an enchanted court in her enemy's kingdom, Feyre is free to roam but forbidden to escape. Her captor's body bears the scars of fighting, and his face is always masked - but his piercing stare draws her ever closer. As Feyre's feeling for Tamlin begin to burn through every warning she's been told about his kind, an ancient, wicked shadow grows.

Feyre must find a way to break a spell, or lose her heart forever.



What can I say, considering I'm not a major fan of Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series (okay I've only read two books of the series so far, and so far I hate it), I thoroughly enjoyed A Court of Thorns and Roses; first book in a whole new series.
There can be many reasons as to why this is the case. It could be I was just in the mood for a story like this one, a re-telling of a fairy-tale, Beauty and the Beast.
Another reason could be that unlike the Throne of Glass series that is Young Adult, this one is New Adult. Which means the author is a bit freer in the content and doesn't skim past the sex scenes.
Let’s be adults here, do we really want authors to skim over the sex scenes?

This is the second time I'm reading this book, and I know I loved it the first time. I did have trouble at the beginning. I wasn't getting into it and everything was making me frustrated.
I put the book down for a bit, picked it back up and was instantly transported to the first time I read this. Falling in love all over again.

I loved the characters in this book, even though as times I felt like they were irritating and childish. Just realised I’m not selling it. Besides being annoying at times, they were well developed and easy to understand.
My favourite character would have to be Lucien. There is just something about a character who is so care-free, that you can't help but feel intrigued by. In all honesty, I would love to read a book just around him.
The only down fall I have with ALL the characters is their names. Like seriously, Sarah J. Maas couldn't come up with simple easy to say names? I was getting to a point that I either skimmed over their name, not bothering to try and pronounce it. Or just simply changing it to something normal. 
For example, our female protagonist is Feyre....seriously. I know at the back is a glossary on how to pronounce all the characters’ names, but I was still struggling with it.
I know this is a common thing for Sarah. J Maas as I've read Throne of Glass, and there are odd names in their too.

The world this is set in is a mixture of magical and scary. Humans living isolated from the murderous fairies. Only separating them is a five-hundred-year old peace treaty between the two. 
Even though there was a map (I usually find them helpful when an author is trying to explain the world they are creating), I found it easy to understand and immerse myself in this ancient world. Sarah J. Maas slowly and at a great pace introduced you to new creatures and the world around Feyre.

On the subject of the map, is it me or does it look familiar? Westeros? The Wall.......



Now onto book two….





My star rating for A Court Of Thorns And Roses by Sarah J. Maas: