Thursday, 12 May 2016

Movie Review ~ Special Correspondents




A radio journalist and his technician get in over their heads when they hatch a scheme to fake their own kidnapping during a rebel uprising in South America and hide out in New York instead.

Cast:
·       Eric Bana as Frank Bonneville
·       Ricky Gervais as Ian Finch
·       Vera Farmiga as Eleanor Finch
·       Kelly Macdonald as Claire Maddox
·       Benjamin Bratt as John Baker
·       Kevin Pollak as Geoffrey Mallard
·       America Ferrera as Brigida
·       Raul Castillo as Domingo



When I saw this being advertised I didn’t know it was to be on Netflix. I’m not complaining, that just means I don’t have to wait for it to be on DVD or on free to air TV.

I grew up with Eric Bana, from Full Frontal (an Australian sitcom), to Chopper, Black Hawk Down, Incredible Hulk, Troy and so on. It is great to finally see him back into comedy, showing everyone he doesn’t just do drama.
And Ricky Gervais, I love how blunt and honest he is. Except in this movie he plays the shy, dumb, underdog. He actually plays the nice guy in all this. Which really, isn’t him at all. Especially with a bitch of a wife.

But what made this movie for me was America Ferrera and Raul Castillo who play Brigida and Domingo. A couple who own a café and help Frank and Ian with their lie.
Both are really stupid. I mean they are so stupid I’m wondering how they can run a café on their own. Is it strange that stupidity is funny, watching them trying to understand what Frank and Ian are saying is priceless. They don’t even know what a brain storm is.

If you have Netflix and love comedy with a bit of drama, watch this. Even if it’s just for Eric Bana.


My star rating for Special Correspondents is: