Thursday, 10 March 2016

Book Review ~ Wolf By Wolf by Ryan Graudin

{click on photo to transfer to Goodreads page}







Over ten years since the Nazis won the war, 18 yr old Yael has one mission: to kill Hitler - a captivating second novel from Walled City author, Ryan Graudin.

Once upon a different time, there was a girl who lived in a kingdom of death. Wolves howled up her arm. A whole pack of them-made of tattoo ink and pain, memory and loss. It was the only thing about her that ever stayed the same. Her story begins on a train. 

Germania, 1956. Over ten years since the Nazis won the war. 18-year-old Yael is part of the resistance, and she has just one mission: to kill Hitler.

But first she's got to get close enough to him to do it. 

Experimented on during her time at Auschwitz, Yael has the unique ability to change her appearance at will. The only part of her which always remains are the five tattooed wolves on her arm; one for each of the people she's lost. Using her abilities, she must transform into Adele Wolfe, Germany's most famous female rider and winner of the legendary Axis Tour; an epic long distance motorcycle race from Berlin to Tokyo, where only the strongest (and wiliest) riders survive. If she can win this, she will be able to get close enough to kill the Fuhrer and change history forever.

But with other riders sabotaging her chances at every turn, Yael's mission won't be easy. . .








It was an okay book. I didn’t love it but I also didn’t hate it.

I’ve seen this book around for a while now, everyone has been raving on about how great this book is. The premise of the story is what really interested my History obsessed self; what if Hitler won the war. Frightening as it is, it’s a very good question.
I’m sure there is a lot of things we wonder, what if I did this differently, where would I be?

There were two things that I didn’t enjoy with this book; one was this sense the author was trying to get her word count up. What I mean by this is her use of repetitive words.
Right throughout the book she (technically Yael), kept on repeating herself. I actually got to a point where I just skipped it and moved on. Every now and then I probably could of dealt with it, but it literally happened all the time.

My second issue was Yael’s “abilities”. I know it was essential to the plot for her to be able to shape-shift, because without that then this story wouldn’t exist.
My favourite genre is Fantasy and Science Fiction, so in reality this is my type of book. Except I wanted this to be realistic, I want to really know what it would’ve been like if Hitler did win the war.
I actually felt this book to be a bit light, considering that this evil man held concentration camps where he tortured and murdered innocent people, just because they were a different “race”. So you can imagine what the world would've been like if he did win the war. TERRIBLE!

But saying all that, I did enjoy the book. Even though it was a bit Young Adult for me, I was enthralled throughout the bike race and how Yael can keep her identity under wraps. Even though there were some issues with her intelligence on Adele, the identity she stole. Really, the crucial thing to do when stealing an identity is know things about them that wouldn’t be on paper. Just saying.

Would I read book two, probably. Of course it left us with a cliff hanger, and even though it was also supposed to leave you mind blow, unfortunately I kind of saw it coming.

I can’t really explain it because then technically it will give away the ending. So if you have read this, then leave a comment below and I’ll let you know how I came to the endings conclusion. 

My rating out of five is:

🐈🐈🐈